Axe throwing is a lot of fun, and we want you to feel fully prepared when you stop by. Here are some of the most common questions we get asked at American Paintball Coliseum.
1. How do you throw an axe?
Good question! There are several ways to throw an axe, and you can choose to use one hand or two. No matter how many hands you use, there are a few basic tips we recommend:
- Stand with your non-dominant foot facing the target, right behind the throwing line.
- Grip the axe properly. Hold the axe like you would hold a hammer — and if you’re using two hands, wrap your non-dominant hand underneath your dominant hand for support. You should be gripping the axe at the base of the handle.
- Stand straight and throw the axe so your arm ends up pointing directly at the bullseye when you release the axe.
- Throw the axe in one fluid motion by bringing it over your head, swinging it forward, and releasing when your hands point at the bullseye.
2. Do axes come in different sizes?
Throwing axes come in several sizes. Regulation-sized axe handles must be between 13 and 17 inches in length and the head of the axe must weigh between 1.25 and 1.75 pounds. We have axes for you to use, and if you want to bring your own, we’re cool with that, too. We just need to inspect it first.
3. What should I wear to go axe throwing?
We know you look great in your fancy clothes, but this isn’t the time to show off your stiletto shoes and ultra skinny jeans. When you come to our facility, it’s best to wear closed-toed shoes and loose-fitting clothing. Axe throwing is a physical sport that requires participants to be able to move freely, so wear something comfortable when you visit so you’re safe and ready to dominate the competition.
4. What types of axe throwing games can you play?
There are all kinds of axe throwing games that can add some friendly competition to your game play. Some popular games include:
- Zombie vs Humans
- Around the World
Our axe experts can teach you how to play, or you can spend your time casually throwing axes and sharpening your skills. You can see the rules on how to play these games with our [Ultimate Guide to Axe Throwing Games]
5. What are the basic rules for axe throwing?
Axe throwing can be a “choose your own adventure” activity for your party, as long as you follow a few basic rules. When you arrive, one of our experts will provide a brief orientation that covers how to properly throw an axe, along with a few safety rules. Once you’ve got the basics, we can teach you one of our favorite axe throwing games or you can spend your time throwing casually with your friends and family. The hour is yours — and our goal is to ensure that you have a safe, memorable, and fun experience.
6. What safety info should I know before I go?
When you’re throwing axes, safety is key. We’re the axe experts, and your safety is our priority.. That’s why we provide an orientation at the beginning of each session, so every party member knows how to throw an axe properly, and how to do it safely, too. We’ll cover how many players can be in the throwing area at a time, and we’ll be standing by to ensure that everyone’s safe the entire time you’re here.
If you’re ready for a party at American Paintball Coliseum, contact us today. We’d love to throw some axes with you!